Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday in Beijing

Thursday brought the students to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City.  To get from the hotel to Tiananmen Square, we rode the Beijing subway for the first time.  As it was the tail end of rush hour, the term “packed in like sardines” definitely comes to mind.

After looking briefly around Tiananmen Square, I parted company with the students while they went on to explore Tiananmen Square, have lunch, and visit the Forbidden City.  That schedule should keep them busy for most of the day.

clip_image001In front of the Forbidden City.

For more on the students’ travels, please see http://ramaraophdstudent.blogspot.com/.

I looked around the south side of the Tiananmen Square, an area that I had not ventured to on previous trips to China.    Behind there I found another gate to the city called Zhengyangmen.  It is the largest of the city gates, located at the southern end of the inner city of Beijing.

Beyond the gate from Tiananmen Square, I found the shopping area called Qingmen and the famous side shopping street called Dashilan.  This whole area has recently been renovated, and I believe looks quite a bit different from what it used to several years ago.  However, I was able to find a number of items that people have asked me to bring back from China.

No comments: